Sherburn Hill Colliery (1835 - 1965)
Sherburn Hill Colliery opened in 1835, owned then by the Earl of Durham. By the 1890's it was owned by Lambton Collieries Ltd, and the pit employed 300 men and boys, producing 400 tons of coal per day. By 1914 there were 1,260 people employed at the colliery (1,071 working below ground, and 189 on the surface). In 1923 the colliery came under the ownership of Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. The colliery consistently employed over a thousand people during the 20th century up to 1964. Sherburn Hill Colliery closed on the 7th of August 1965.