Seghill Colliery (1824 - 1962)


Seghill Colliery was established in 1824. In the mid 19th century the colliery was owned by Carr & Co. - Charles Carr was Viewer/part owner of Seghill, Burradon & Cowpen collieries. Coking ovens were established closeby, south-west of the colliery. In 1858, Seghill Colliery was sold to Joseph Laycock & Co., then in 1922 it was owned by Seghill Colliery Ltd. There were several pits established as part of the colliery (Engine, John, Kitty, Success, & Major Pit). In 1940 the colliery was recorded as producing 450,000 tons of coal (for household, manufacturing, steam & fireclay). In 1950 there were 1,139 people employed at Seghill Colliery (856 working below ground, and 283 working on the surface). The coliery closed on the 28th of September 1962.[1]

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Seghill Colliery
- Details of Seghill Colliery opened in1824 and closed on 28th Sep 1962.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Youtube (youtube)
Seghill pit

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Former Seghill Colliery pit yard

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from IllustratedChronicles (flickr)
1916-03-28 (Mar) A 11

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES