Topics > Cumbria > Rottington

Rottington


Rottington is a hamlet in the Copeland district of Cumbria, located near the coast and about 1 mile north-west of the village of St Bees and 3 miles south-west of Whitehaven. Historically, Rottington was a township in the ancient parish of St Bees within Cumberland. Following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, Rottington became a civil parish. The parish was enlarged by absorbing parts of Preston Quater CP and Sandworth CP, when they were abolished in 1934 (the  larger parts of these being absorbed by Whitehaven). Then, in 1973, Rottington CP itself was abolished and the area is now part of St Bees Civil Parish.

ROTTINGTON, a township, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 3½ miles (S. by W.) from Whitehaven; with 52 inhabitants. Here was a small nunnery, subordinate to that of St. Bees.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Rottington is a hamlet and former civil parish 3 miles (4.8 km) from Whitehaven, now in the parish of St Bees, in the Copeland district, in the county of Cumbria, England. In 1961 the parish had a population of 92.

History

The name "Rottington" means 'Farm/settlement connected with Rot(t)a'. In 1762 the area became the property of Sir James Lowther. Rottington was a township in the parish of St Bees, in 1866 Rottington became a civil parish in its own right. On 1 April 1934 the parishes of Preston Quarter and Sandwith were merged into Rottington and Whitehaven. On 1 April 1974 the parish was abolished and merged with St Bees.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 25/02/2021).
Visit the page: Rottington for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Cumbria St Bees Civil Parish St Bees (St. Bega) Parish, Historical Account, 1848
from Geograph (geograph)
Rottington

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
A public footpath in Rottington

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Manor House, Rottington

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from Geograph (geograph)
Rottington Hall Farm.

Pinned by Edmund Anon
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Rottington
- "Township in St Bees parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by addition of parts of Preston Quarter and Sandwith CPs 1934. Absorbed into St Bees CP 1973...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES