Topics > Northumberland > Rothbury > Rothbuy Castle (demolished 1869)

Rothbuy Castle (demolished 1869)


The Haa Hill graveyard in Rothbury is located at the south-west of All Saints Church by Haw Hill (street) and Church Street on a knoll overlooking the River Coquet. This the site of Rothbury Hall, which is considered to be Rothbury Castle, which was built after the Norman Conquest, and first documented in 1265. The Hall was described as having massive walls and stone arched vaults, consistent with a defensive castle or tower house.[1] Though in ruins by 1843, parts of the building were still occuied upto c.1850. It was demolished with the foundations dug out and mound levelled, when the new churchyard was laid out in 1869. There are now no remains of the building to be seen.

Rothbury
from Geograph (geograph)
'Haa-Hill' burial ground, Rothbury

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.gatehouse-gazett...
ROTHBURY HAA HILL
- "A Norman castle is thought to have existed at Rothbury on the north bank of the River Coquet a little to the west of the church on a site now ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://www.keystothepast.in...
Rothbury Castle
- "The early castle at Rothbury stood on a mound on the north bank of the Coquet, just to the west of the church. It was probably built in the 12th ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



Keys to the Past HER: N2912
Grid ref: NU05740159

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES