RIDDELL'S-QUARTER, a township, in the parish of Long Horsley, union of Morpeth, W. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 175 inhabitants. This township, which derives its name from the family of Riddell, comprises about 2,022 acres of land. Within its limits, near the village of Long Horsley, is an old tower, that belonged in the time of Henry VIII. to Sir Robert Horsley, whose ancestors held the estate at a very early period, probably before the reign of Henry III. There is a small but neat Roman Catholic chapel, and the ancient tower is now used for a priest's house.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.