Rex Cinema, Ferguson's Lane, Benwell


The Rex Cinema on Ferguson's Lane, Benwell, was opened on the 8th December 1937. The 1,012 seat cinema was designed by S.J. Stephenson and Gillis for the Smelt’s Theatres circuit.[1] The Rex Cinema was closed on the 10th August 1968. The building was purchased by Old Benwell Village Social Club (The Fairholm) in 1969.[2]
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
068942:Rex cinema, Ferguson's Lane, Benwell Village, 1963

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Rex Cinema

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://cinematreasures.org/...
Rex Cinema Ferguson's Road, Benwell Village
- "Located in Benwell Village, a western suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne. The Rex Cinema was opened on 8th December 1937, and was built for the local independent Smelt’s Theatres ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(12875): Benwell, Ferguson's Lane, Rex Cinema
- "The Rex was designed by S.J. Stephenson and Gillis for the circuit owned by H.T. Smelt. It opened on 8 December 1937. The façade was in sand-faced brick ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES