CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE - Alston - List Entry

  • Description

    "Parish Church. 1870 by J.W. Walton, spire 1886 by G. D. Oliver, replacing 1770 church by Smeaton on medieval site. Ashlar with plinth, buttresses and moulded eaves.....3-bay chancel with painted 5-panel reredos. East window designed by Wooldridge and made by Powell. Font in nave has round bowl on central stem with detached marble shafts. Derwentwater clock on west wall presented 1767 and restored 1978. Wrought-iron weather vane now inside, dated 1770....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1106230
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 120 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES