Kirkbride – St Bride’s Church

  • Description

    "The tiny ancient church of St Bride stands at the northern edge of Kirkbride village, overlooking the estuary of the River Wampool. It stands on an early Christian site, with its name first being recorded in 1189. The church is basically Norman, though the chancel arch is of Saxon origin, and the stone used to build the church may have come from a nearby Roman camp. It is a good example of 12th century church, with a simple structure of nave, chancel and bell-cote. Items of note are the now blocked North door – ‘The Devils Door’, through which evil spirits fled when a child was baptised, and the chancel arch, in which hangs a 16th century plaster cast of Jesus being carried to the tomb....."
  • Owner

    Visit Cumbria
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.visitcumbria.com/car/kirkbride-st-brides-church/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years ago
    Viewed: 166 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES