Description"This fine old 17th century Grade 1 listed red sandstone bridge over the Tweed estuary is in fact the fifth to stand on this site. At one time it carried the Great North Road, now it is just used by local traffic under one-way working (east to west). Because the bridge is so narrow, some attempt has been made to control the considerable pedestrian traffic. The Coast and Castles Cycle Route from Newcastle to Edinburgh (part of National Cycle Network route 1) also crosses this bridge. The Town Hall [[NU9953]], dating from 1750, can be seen on the skyline." Photo by Oliver Dixon, 2015.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4425810
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 3 months ago
Viewed: 396 times
Picture Taken: 2015-04-11