Description"Built in 1769 by John Codling, parish clerk of Kirkwhelpington Church, for Sir Walter Calverley Blackett of Wallington Hall, although there is a tradition that a defensive structure was first built here in 1745 to repel Jacobite invasion from Scotland http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRNMAP=N10802 He also created Rothley Lakes [] and built Rothley Castle, another folly or eye-catcher, on the craggy hill to the south []" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1940025
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 1 month ago
Viewed: 281 times
Picture Taken: 2010-06-02