The first and last house in Burnhope

  • Description

    "Burnhope was categorised as a "category D village" by Durham County Council. With the decline of coal-mining locally, 114 villages were classified in this way in 1951, and another seven in 1964. They were left to wither and die, without economic assistance or development. The policy ended in 1977, but many still have an old fashioned air, contrasting with newer areas of commuter housing." Photo by Christine Johnstone, 2012.
  • Owner

    Christine Johnstone
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2907436
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 3 months ago
    Viewed: 319 times
    Picture Taken: 2012-04-14
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES