The Old Fire Station, Cheviot Street, Wooler

Related Pages


Wooler


Northumberland

  • Description

    "From 'Town and Country Trail', available from [[3449946]]: "The town of Wooler was almost completely destroyed by fire, once in 1722 and again in 1863. This later fire started at the Half Moons Inn on the High Street. Flames quickly spread through the thatched roofs, fanned by gale force winds. A horseman rode off to enlist the help of the nearest fire services in Belford and Bamburgh, but by the time they arrived the town was totally destroyed. This building was one of the first in Wooler to house a fire appliance. With the threat of war in 1939, the auxiliary fire service was set up across the nation. The Wooler division operated from here."" Photo by Barbara Carr, 2013.
  • Owner

    Barbara Carr
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3450478
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 5 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 456 times
    Picture Taken: 2013-05-07
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES