Description"A water-powered corn mill was built here in the C18th. The building was converted to a forge in the C19th. Water retained in the mill pond by the horseshoe dam directly below our stance provided power for an ‘overshot’ water wheel. The forge/foundry had been abandoned by 1896 and the final use of the buildings seems to have been as animal shelters. The site was subject to a major archaeological excavation by Peter Brown and Stafford Linsley in 1982, and two community digs in 2007 and 2009. Much of the dam was found to be intact but was backfilled after excavation to prevent vandalism, and has been recolonised by vegetation. Tyne and Wear HER(3432): Blaydon Burn, Massey's Forge: http://www.twsitelines.info/Siteline.nsf/8f71f680ce308c9a802573a80061c133/5745ecfc3c7a9aed802576af003e5d35 Tyne and Wear HER(3431): Blaydon Burn, Massey's Forge, mill pond and dam: http://www.twsitelines.info/Siteline.nsf/8f71f680ce308c9a802573a80061c133/2734dceaa9dca666802576af003e5d34" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2012.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2816051
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years, 8 months ago
Viewed: 556 times
Picture Taken: 2012-02-19