Tyne and Wear HER(4557): North Shields, Old Low Light

  • Description

    "The Old Low Light was built in 1727, raised in 1775. It burnt three candles instead of two. It was given copper reflectors in 1736, and oil lamps were substituted for candles in 1773. It was converted into almshouses in 1830, when the building of the New Low Light (HER 2057) rendered the Old Low Light redundant. The lantern turret of the low light was removed to make way for an additional storey and the building has now no resemblance to a lighthouse...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/4557
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 417 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES