Description"This plain brick building dating from 1823 was once the boiler plate shop and administrative offices of George & Robert Stephenson's Company. It was the first purpose built locomotive factory in the world and both 'Locomotion No 1' (1828), Rocket (1829) [] and 'Planet' (1830) were built here. The Works closed in 1904 when the company moved to Darlington. It has been described as one of the most important 19th century industrial buildings in the world. Tyne and Wear HER(8960): Newcastle, South Street, No. 20 and building to rear http://www.twsitelines.info See here for the rear of the Works building []" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1693712
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 234 times
Picture Taken: 2010-01-31