Description"The building was built 1905-1906 as a goods warehouse for the Newcastle to Carlisle railway line. At the rear of the building was the huge North Eastern Railway's Forth Banks Goods Station, designed by Thomas Prosser in 1866 http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4080142059 This was cut in two by the building of the approach viaduct from Central Station to the King Edward Bridge (1902-1906) leaving only the under-storey of the Goods Station with its arches along Pottery Lane []. The existing building shown here, fronting onto Forth Banks is a ferro-concrete goods shed of three storeys designed by William Bell and built by Mouchel's Hennebique Company. It is a Grade II Listed Building. http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=1072614&resourceID=5 http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=954973 Along with the neighbouring Kings House [], this building is destined to become part of a new £37 million Police Station http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2011/11/11/work-begins-on-new-police-station-at-forth-banks-newcastle-61634-29757040/ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2010/10/22/plans-unveiled-for-new-37m-police-station-72703-27525468/ http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1345643" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2011.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2712003
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 146 times
Picture Taken: 2011-11-28