St Mary's R C Church, Blackhill

  • Description

    "This was the first Catholic church built in Consett, in 1857. It was built to serve the large Irish Catholic community which had settled in Blackhill. The men came over to work in the steelworks and to escape the potato famine. The architect was Matthias Dunn, who designed the building in Gothic revival style. The clock tower wasn't completed until 1884." Photo by Robert Graham, 2017.
  • Owner

    Robert Graham
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5587749
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 152 times
    Picture Taken: 2017-10-25
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES