Tyne and Wear HER(952): Harton village

Related Pages


Harton


South Shields

  • Description

    "The first reference to Harton (Heortedun) dates to 1074-80, when it and the other vills dependent on Jarrow were given by Bishop Walcher to Aldwin and his companions to assist them in the reconstruction of the church of Jarrow. In 1424 gillicorn was due from 21 bondages; there were 10 tenements in 1539 and 1580. The map of 1768 shows Harton as an L-shaped settlement, the north-south part lying along the east side of Sunderland Road...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/952
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 5 months ago
    Viewed: 175 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES