Langley Castle

  • Description

    "Now an unusual and beautifully furnished hotel, Langley Castle was built in the mid-fourteenth century by Sir Thomas de Lucy, for himself and his family to live in during times of uncertainty. Despite its appearance of strength, it was gutted by fire in 1405. It was never rebuilt and remained gradually decaying for 500 years until it was restored by Cadwallader Bates, who bought the Langley estate in 1882 specifically to restore the castle as his residence. Unfortunately he died in 1902, and his wife Josephine completed the restoration, which was remarkably sympathetic. After she died in 1932, the castle remained empty until it was used as a barracks during the Second World War, and then a girls' school and eventually became converted to the hotel it is today." Photo by Ken Brown, 2005.
  • Owner

    Ken Brown
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/12981
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 2 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 263 times
    Picture Taken: 2005-05-23
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES