Tyne and Wear HER(152): Monkton village

  • Description

    "The first reference to Monkton (Munecatun) dates from 1074-80, when it and the other vills dependent on Jarrow were given by Bishop Walcher to Aldwin and his companions to assist them in the reconstruction of the church of Jarrow. It thus became the property of the prior and convent of Durham (of which Jarrow was a cell), and later the dean and chapter of Durham....."
  • Owner

    Sitelines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://twsitelines.info/SMR/152
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 7 months ago
    Viewed: 201 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES