Description"The chapel, now in ruins, was built in 1451. History, Topography and Directory of Durham, Whellan, London, 1894, quoted by Genuki http://www.joinermarriageindex.com/pjoiner/genuki/DUR/DurhamCity/index.html , tells us: "The ruined chapel of St. Mary Magdalen stands on the north side of Gilesgate, near to the old railway station. This was the chapel of the Hospital of St. Mary Magdalen, which stood near it, and included in-brethren and out-brethren and also sisters. It has not been used for services since the Restoration, though there have been interments in the cemetery, which has now been closed for many years."" Photo by David Hawgood, 2005.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/96816
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 4 years ago
Viewed: 362 times
Picture Taken: 2005-12-23