Description"Gilesgate Station was built in the 1840s and was then the main Durham station for trains to London. See www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk http://www.thisisthenortheast.co.uk/the_north_east/history/echomemories/durham/203/090503.html where David Simpson (author of "North-East England: places, history, people and legends") tells us: "It was the railway entrepreneur George Hudson who built the main line northwards from York from around 1841. Near Durham, his line was what we know today as the Leamside line, and lies to the east of the city. In his time, Hudson's line was called the Newcastle and Durham Junction Railway and became part of the North Eastern Railway in the early 1850s." and "Shincliffe Bank Top and Gilesgate stations were both built in stone by the architect JT Andrews, from York, and both are rather attractive buildings that look more Georgian than Victorian." The building is now a Travelodge hotel, where the photographer stayed when he took the photo." Photo by David Hawgood, 2005.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/96459
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 2 years ago
Viewed: 187 times
Picture Taken: 2005-12-23