Tyne and Wear HER(365): Usworth Colliery

  • Description

    "There were three pits: Frederick (1815-1914), Victoria and Wellington (1845-1974). Owners were George Elliot, then J Johansson and Sir George Elliot, 1882 John Bowes & Partners, then Johansson, Gordon & Co Ltd, then Leversons Wallsend Collieries Ltd, 1940 Washington Coal Co Ltd and 1947 National Coal Board. O.S. maps show a large settlement, with terraces of houses round two 3-sided squares, Post Office, two chapels, a school (built 1863 for 600 children), miners' hall...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/365
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 6 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 614 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES