Haggerston Deserted Village (Ancroft)

  • Description

    "This is the site of former medieval village of Haggerston. Written records show that it had many inhabitants throughout the medieval period. It only began to decline in size in the 17th century. A map of 1769 shows the mansion in a large park with a hamlet called New Haggerston to the west. The site of the medieval village was probably to the west of the tower, close to the dovecote, where earthworks are visible...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.keystothepast.info/article/10339/Site-Details?PRN=N4049
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 383 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES