Tyne and Wear HER(2695): Fulwell, Sir Hedworth Williamson Lime Kilns

Related Pages


Lime Kilns


Fulwell

  • Description

    "Generally well-preserved, multi-phased, battery of lime kilns of random, roughly-dressed magnesium limestone masonry, which operated for about 200 years until closure in 1957. The kilns, which were formerly linked by three waggonways to the River Wear, burnt magnesium limestone brought from the now-landfilled 140 acre Fulwell quarry (HER ref. 2691) via a wagonway (HER ref. 2692). The north and south ends of the range are visible, with the central area currently occupied by a garage...."
  • Owner

    SiteLines
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.twsitelines.info/SMR/2695
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 185 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES