Hamsteels and Quebec Villages

  • Description

    Article by Linda Cook. "The houses of Hamsteels were built by Johnston and Reay to house the workforce of the colliery, brickworks and coke ovens. Hamsteels comprised of only three streets, High, Office and South Street plus a row of “huts”. Quebec, on the other hand, had many more; Front, New Single, Brockwell, Clifford, Dyke, Busty, Taylor, Oliver, Chapel and Church Street. Joseph Burgoyne Johnston and T Reay started Hamsteels village with the sinking of the Taylor pit shaft in 1867. T Reay was a timber merchant in Sunderland and Johnston was a brewery owner. He also owned the two public houses in Quebec. For entertainment, the people of Hamsteels had to walk up the hill to Quebec where the Miners Institute, Drill Hall and the public houses were all located....."
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/durham_miner/hamsteels_quebec.pdf
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 487 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES