Description"Built in the year 1330, it is the oldest purpose built prison in England It was used to hold prisoners from "Hexamshire" and was under the control of the Archbishop of York and was run by his bailiffs. By the 16th Century it was populaly used to hold "pledges". These were family members or close friends of the wanted felons who were held hostage until the proper miscreant was either captured or gave themselves up. But the gaol was not very secure. The warders were quite happy to look the other way while a prisoner was rescued in exchange for an agreed bribe. The gaol was used up to the 1820s when the County Gaol at Morpeth was built and took over. It now houses a museum." Photo by Derek Voller, 2012.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3075184
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 6 years, 9 months ago
Viewed: 589 times
Picture Taken: 2012-07-19