Description"Westgate Road is to the left and Fenkle Street to the right. The office building was the second Cross House on this narrow site. It was built in 1911 by the architects Cackett and Burns Dick using a revolutionary reinforced concrete structural system clad with Portland stone. In front of the building is the statue of Joseph Cowen sculpted by John Tweed in 1906. Joseph Cowen (1831-1900) was a Newcastle Member of Parliament, and owner of the Newcastle Chronicle newspaper who founded the Tyne Theatre in 1867" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1694226
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years ago
Viewed: 523 times
Picture Taken: 2010-01-31