Parish Church of St.John's, New Seaham

  • Description

    "Built in 1857 due to the rapid expansion of New Seaham and the inability of the old Church of St.Mary's to be able to cope with all the extra burials. To give some idea of this, the parish census for Seaham in 1841 was 153, by 1851 it was at 729, by 1861 it was an incredible 2591, and by 1891 it was close to 4800 souls." Photo by Matthew Hatton, 2016.
  • Owner

    Matthew Hatton
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4795158
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 3 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 255 times
    Picture Taken: 2016-01-16
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES