Newcastle and District War Memorial - List Entry

  • Description

    "....Newcastle and District War Memorial was erected in 1923 to commemorate the men of the city and district who fell in the First World War. It was paid for by public subscription at a cost of £13,260, a surplus in the fund of just over £3,000 being donated to the Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle. The Newcastle architectural practice Cackett and Burns was responsible for the design of the pedestal. The original choice for the sculptural work had been Alfred Drury but he withdrew and the commission went instead to Charles Hartwell. The memorial was unveiled on 26 September 1923 by Field Marshal Earl Haig, and dedicated by the Bishop of Newcastle....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1115605
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 478 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES