Blucher Methodist Church, Blucher Colliery Road

  • Description

    "The Blucher and Duke Pits, part of Walbottle Colliery, were either renamed or sunk in 1815, celebrating two victorious generals of Waterloo, Wellington and Blücher. Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (1742-1819) was a Prussian field marshal. Blucher pit was reopened in 1938 and finally closed in 1956. The village of Blucher grew around the pit. Blücher was also the name of an unsuccessful early railway locomotive built in 1814 by George Stephenson for Killingworth Colliery"
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1988123
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 264 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES