Short history of Wingate and Station Town

  • Description

    Marjorie Cain, Short history of Wingate and Station Town, 1960 in the Trimdon Times. "Wingate parish was formed from the parishes of Kelloe and Castle Eden by an Order in Council 1842. Station Town and South Wingate were added in 1885. Wingate Grange lies to the east of Thornley, ten miles east-south-east of Durham, and is now a considerable colliery village. The colliery was first opened by Lord Howden and Partners, from whom the land was purchased to build the first cottages. In 1801 the population of Wingate was recorded as 135, increasing, due to the spread of mining operations, to the present day figure of 3,899. Although...."
  • Owner

    Trimdon Times
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://times.trimdon.net/trimdon-history/history-of-wingate/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 11 months ago
    Viewed: 507 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES