Related Pages


County Durham

  • Description

    A brief history of Wingate by John Devine. "Prior to 1837 the land around what was to be Wingate Colliery was agricultural. A map by Capt. Armstrong 1768 shows the extent of the farming. Property owner’s c1840 from a map by J. Bell Castle Eden shows the ownership of land with Lord Howden owning a large amount, which included Wingate Grange Farm. The sinking of Wingate Colliery began in 1839 with Lord Howden and partners investing £60,000 in the project. One of the sinkers was a man called Mason and his descendents still live in the village. The first coals were drawn in 1839. Wingate Colliery had a two‐shaft system, which predated the Hartley Colliery disaster after which it was made compulsory to have two shafts. The Lady shaft was the down cast shaft and the Lord shaft was the up cast shaft...."  
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 714 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.