MONUMENT TO GRACE DARLING CIRCA 30 YARDS WEST OF CHURCH OF ST AIDAN - List Entry

  • Description

    "Churchyard memorial. 1842. Designed by Anthony Salvin. The tomb was repaired in 1885 by Frederick Wilson, when a new effigy was carved by C R Smith in Portland stone. (The original which is now in the church). 1894 the canopy rebuilt to the designs of W S Hicks 1894 after the original was damaged in a gale. Ashlar and bronze, iron railings. Gothic Revival style. Rectangular base bearing life-size effigy....."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1206625
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 2 years, 6 months ago
    Viewed: 182 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES