CLOCK HOUSE BUILDING, BERWICK BARRACKS MUSEUM - List Entry

  • Description

    "Barracks store, later barracks and officers' mess, now museum. 1739-41, for the Ordnance Board. Sandstone ashlar with gable and axial stacks, and slate double pile roof vernacular Baroque style. PLAN: single-depth plan closing S side of parade ground quadrangle....originally built as a storehouse in the same manner as the earlier barracks, shown as such on 1788 map, and later converted to an officers' mess. Part of the earliest planned barrack complex in England, predating most English barracks by nearly 80 years because of the need for a permanent garrison on the Scottish border...."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1244772
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 293 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES