Longframlington Colliery (1905)

  • Description

    Closed on 31st December 1931, little remains of this "Fram Pit", apart from a small spoil heap to the north of the town. Near the end of its life, a four-mile long aerial ropeway was constructed to overcome the problem of transporting the mined coal to a better centre of materail distribution. The mined coal was put into the pit tubs themselves, suspended from this overhead rope "tramway", and taken from one Co-operative Wholesale Society Ltd pit to another (to the screening plant at Whittle Colliery). The logistical transport capacity was some 32 tons per hour and was incredibly successful. The ropeway passed over the A1 road, and was a site to behold !!
  • Owner

    museum 1
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43269907@N07/4223188718/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 4 years, 10 months ago
    Viewed: 551 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES