Curry's Point

  • Description

    "The promontory on the mainland adjoining the causeway to St. Mary’s Island is called Curry's Point. On September 4th 1739 Michael Curry was hanged for murdering the Three Horseshoes Inn landlord at Hartley. Afterwards, his body was suspended by chains on a gibbet at the spot marked by the stone in the foreground within sight of his crime, giving his name to this promontory. The Island was originally called Bait Island, and was a source of small flounders, lug worms and small crustaceans for the local fishing industry. It is still popular with fishers today. The lighthouse was built in 1896 to aid coastal navigation. It is no longer a working beacon, but now houses a museum. Before the lighthouse was built, sailors were warned by a light in the small church on the island. The name St. Mary's comes from the tradition of mariners calling such warning lights as "Our Lady's Lights"." Photo by Ken Brown, 2004, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
  • Owner

    Geograph.org.uk
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5519
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 8 years, 1 month ago
    Viewed: 725 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES