Description"This is a building which incorporates one of the towers on the Newcastle's old Town Walls along with a short length of the wall itself (facing). It was built in late 12C-14C. The rest of the wall, both north and south of the tower was demolished in 1811. Once called the Carliol Croft Tower, it served as an artillery position at the time of the Civil War. In the 17th century, it was named Cutlers' Tower, used by the Company of Cutlers as a meetings room. In 1749, it was let to the Company of Masons who built the new Palladian west front. They held it into the 20th century, after which it was intermittently used as a dwelling house." Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010, and licensed for reuse under a Creative Commons Licence.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Generic (CC BY-SA 2.0)
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1673105
Resource type: Text/Website
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 7 years ago
Viewed: 688 times
Picture Taken: Unknown