Low Light, N Shields

  • Description

    There have been navigation lights at North Shields since 1540 but neglect of the buildings and silting of the river have, from time to time, rendered them virtually useless. Work on these began in 1807 at Dockwray Square and at the Pow Dene. The current ones were first lit in 1810 and still stand today but are no longer used to direct shipping into the river.
  • Owner

    Paul J White
  • Source

    Flickr (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/24808396@N00/3519555592/
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 7 years, 2 months ago
    Viewed: 802 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES