DescriptionWharnley burn is near Allensford just up stream from a small country park area and hamlet in County Durham, in England. It is situated a short distance to the west of Consett, and to the east of Castleside on the River Derwent. First recorded as Aleynforth in Bishop Hatfield's survey of c. 1382. The placename is sometimes listed as Allansford, "At Allansford...is a bridge over the Derwent into Northumberland, surrounded by some of the most beautiful scenery on that stream; there are a few cottages on each side of the river". It is uncertain when a bridge replaced the ford, however a bridge was in existence in the late 17th century when the structure was in a "very ruinous and in greate decay” according to the Northumberland Quarter Sessions for 1687-1697. Allensford Mill farmhouse was originally called the Belsay Castle Inn, named after the estate of the Middleton family of Belsay Castle. Part of the inn was built in the late 17th century and may have been a bastle. Later additions continued throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The inn was licensed until 1869. The upper room in the outbuilding served as a nonconformist chapel.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/41281834@N08/16498619809/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 5 years, 4 months ago
Viewed: 2304 times
Picture Taken: Unknown