Tow Law 1840 ‐1900

Related Pages


Tow Law


County Durham

  • Description

    A "The area we now know of as Tow Law was originally common or fell‐land, on the fringe of the Bishop of Durham’s hunting park at Wolsingham.....However, the value of its mines was already recognised before 1600 and coal was being regularly extracted from that time. Mining on a small scale and farming seem to have been the only activities that took place in the area prior to 1844. In 1844 the area attracted the interest of one Charles Attwood and the seeds were sown for the building of the Town of Tow Law, as we know it today....In 1845 the company opened the Black Prince colliery on the fell to the north of Tow Law to supply its blast furnaces with coking coal. The company first blast furnace was opened at Stanhope Dean in 1845, and a further 6 were opened at Tow Law in 1846...." Read more at Durham in Time...
  • Owner

    Durham in Time
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.durhamintime.org.uk/durham_miner/tow_law.pdf
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Pat Thomson
    Last modified: 7 years, 4 months ago
    Viewed: 760 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES