DescriptionThe obelisk is the memorial to the Felling Colliery disaster of 1812, which took place at 11.30 a.m. on 25th May 1812. There was an explosion in the John Pit which killed 92 men and boys, three quarters of the mine’s workforce. Their ages were between 8 and 65 years. 43 were aged18 or under. Debris and coal dust covered the roads so thickly that footprints were visible and the noise of the explosion could be heard from as far away as Sunderland.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Attribution License
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/57566455@N00/3406186609/
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 3 years, 6 months ago
Viewed: 525 times
Picture Taken: Unknown