Tyne & Wear HER: 3801
Grid ref: NZ275624

Felling Colliery (1779 - 1931)


Also known as Brandling Main, Felling Colliery was one of the oldest coal mines in the region - dating back to 1779. There was a disaster at the colliery on 25th May 1812 when 92 men and boys were killed by a violent explosion that was heard from as far away as Sunderland. The dead were buried at St Mary's Church, Heworth, where there is a monument to the disaster. In 1914 there were 1,065 men and boys employed at the colliery (869 working below ground and 196 on the surface).[1] Felling Colliery closed in 1931.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Felling Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Newcastle libraries (flickr)
001048:Felling Colliery plans Gateshead 1812

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
The Felling Colliery Banner

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Felling Colliery Disaster Remembered at Beamish

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
THE FELLING COLLIERY

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
St. Mary's Churchyard. Heworth

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
John Pit Ventilation Shaft

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Beamish (flickr)
Felling Colliery Disaster Remembered at Beamish

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Enhanced Abandoned Pit Buildings

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://commons.wikimedia.or...
The John Pit at Felling Colliery, Gateshead
- Public domain image c/o Gateshead Council public archives.

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://twsitelines.info/SMR...
Tyne and Wear HER(3801): Felling Colliery (Brandling Main/John Pit)
- "Opened 1779 and closed 1931. There were three pits - John Pit NZ 273 622, Venture Pit NZ 228 627 and William Pit. The colliery was opened by Charles Brandling. It ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Church of St Mary, Heworth
  Co-Curate Page
Church of St Mary, Heworth
- Overview Map Street View St Mary's is the Anglican parish church for Heworth, Pelaw, Bill Quay and Wardley, to the east of Gateshead, located on Shields Road, near Heworth Metro.[1] The ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES