Reconstruction of St Helen's Church - Eston in the late 17th Century

  • Description

    Conjectural view of the church in the 17th century - Peter Ryder. The 'lost' Northern arcaded aisle is justified in the recovery of so many norman drum columns - enough to make an aisle to one side of the pre 1822 nave. St. Helens, the old Parish church of Eston, dates back to around 1100. Back In 1998, the church had been disused for around 15 years and repeatedly burned out, partially demolished by local vandals - even the vestry had been stolen in its entirety for its stone. Despite being a Grade II listed building, permission had been granted by English Heritage and local authorities for its demolition. Fortunately Beamish stepped in at the last moment to rescue the church for preservation. We carefully deconstructed it stone by stone for rebuild on the Museum site and work has recently begun on the reconstruction of the Church next to Pockerley Old Hall. For more information on the history of the church, visit http://collections.beamish.org.uk/pages/estonchurch" >our website.
  • Owner

    Beamish Museum
  • Source

    Beamish (Flickr)
  • License

    What does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36275059@N02/5640709604/
    Resource type: Image
    Last modified: 6 years, 8 months ago
    Viewed: 546 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES