4 - Legs Cross Hill
Description‘The Road to Albalanda’ By Samuel Tuke Richardson of Darlington c.1896 ‘Coming to a very steep hill the nags were allowed to walk whilst the coachman pointed out the well known landmark of Legs Cross, a stone pillar with large stones at its base. Here King James of Scotland on one of his journeys to Darlington when on a visit to the Pease family reposed himself, observing in his rude scotch dialect that the view was wall-worth seeing, this no doubt gave the name to the castle of Walworth lying a few miles from Legs Cross. Many children were playing about the stone which they were rapidly wearing away with their small clothes; but having been warned off by the coachman in a stern voice & greatly intimidated by the guard producing the blunderbuss from the boot, Mrs de la Reynardez was enabled to take one of her rapid & graphic sketches of this interesting historical monument. Pursuing their way down Bildershaw Hill the team had to be somewhat hastily pulled up by reason of a jibbing horse in a coal cart which insisted upon occupying the whole of the Road’.
LicenseWhat does this mean? All Rights Reserved (Seek permission to reuse)
Further informationLink: https://www.flickr.com/photos/36275059@N02/9527482475/
Resource type: Image
Last modified: 6 years ago
Viewed: 609 times
Picture Taken: Unknown