Haydon Spa Well (2)

  • Description

    "In the mid-19th C it had been known for many years that a natural sulphur spring ran out of the hillside about a mile east of Haydon Bridge. It wasn’t until 1863, however, that an organisation called the Haydon Bridge ‘Picnic Committee’ got permission from the Receiver of the Greenwich Hospital Estates to tidy the area and build a basin to collect the water. Some years later, the well was suffering from neglect: the earth had slipped down from the bank above the spring, the path to it was almost impassable and the basin was covered, although the water continued to run. In November 1897 it was agreed that the restoration of the spa well would be the village’s permanent memorial to Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee. For further information, see the second article (that by Dennis Telford) at http://www.haydonbridge.demon.co.uk/haynews0107.html. See also [[2066657]], [[2066674]] and [[2066678]]." Photo by Mike Quinn, 2010.
  • Owner

    Mike Quinn
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2066666
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 4 months, 2 weeks ago
    Viewed: 168 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-09-14
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES