Trewick (Belsay)

  • Description

    "A settlement was first recorded at Trewick in the 13th century but it seems to have remains a small hamlet. Records show that the greatest number of inhabitants lived here in the early 14th century, when four people were recorded in the 1312 Lay Subsidy. In the late 16th century there were nine tenements and by the 17th century it was part of the Middleton family estate. In 1701, a malt house stood here and the township had been divided into two farms. Trewick is now called East Trewick and comprised a farmstead with a few cottages by 1840. The fields around the Trewick contain medieval ridge and furrow...."
  • Owner

    Keys to the Past (Durham & Northumbria County Councils)
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://keystothepast.info/search-records/results-of-search/results-of-search-2/site-details/?PRN=N10933
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Peter Smith
    Last modified: 8 months ago
    Viewed: 142 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES