Dotland Park Farmhouse

  • Description

    "In medieval times this building was a hunting lodge of the Priors of Hexham. The park itself seems to have been created about 1355 when Archbishop Thoresby granted a licence to enclose a wood with a high wall. The remains of this wall have not been found but the farm buildings and farmhouse have medieval features. Built into the walls are the arms of one of the Hexham priors and the heraldry suggests the lodge was built between 1491 and 1524. The farmhouse was later used as a Baptist meeting house in 1654 before becoming a farmhouse. This is a Grade II* Listed Building protected by law. http://www.keystothepast.info/durhamcc/K2P.nsf/K2PDetail?readform&PRN=N8743" Photo by Les Hull, 2010.
  • Owner

    Les Hull
  • Source

    Geograph (Geograph)
  • License

    What does this mean? Creative Commons License
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1737550
    Resource type: Image
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 10 months, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 166 times
    Picture Taken: 2010-03-03
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES