Description"Restored former Water Pumping Station, built in 1854. It used to house a beam engine, from the Newcastle engineer Hawthorn, used to extract drinking water from the River Tyne through a gravel filled channel. The supply was not very clean, subject to salt contamination from the tides, and silting up of the channel. The Station was abandoned and the engines moved to the west of Wylam, where a replacement pump house still stands [] The left building, now the pub and restaurant, was formerly the boiler house, and the right building, the 'North East's oldest micro brewery', housed the pumping engine. The burnt out Waterworks House, built for the caretaker of the later depot, was to the right, level with the photographer, but had to be demolished. A new holiday accommodation building, the Keelman’s Lodge, was erected on its site. The products of the brewery are outlined here http://www.cannybevvy.co.uk/wordpress/big-lamp-brewery/ Photos and history of the building and its restoration, along with a Newburn History Trail, are given here http://www.petersen-stainless.co.uk/blb/history.html" Photo by Andrew Curtis, 2010.
LicenseWhat does this mean? Creative Commons License
Further informationLink: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1988005
Resource type: Image
Added by: Simon Cotterill
Last modified: 8 months, 4 weeks ago
Viewed: 211 times
Picture Taken: 2010-07-30