Selside Hall nr Kendal

Related Pages


Selside Hall


Selside

  • Description

    "Selside Hall is situated about three miles outside of Kendal, between Watchgate and Garnett Bridge. The hall was built in 1540, on the site of an earlier house built in the late 1300’s. The earlier house is no longer visible, but the 15th and 16th century wings (sometimes interpreted as towers) are still visible, along with some 17th century additions....The hall is described as a twin tower house, one tower of 15th century origins, the other of 16th century. Due to the relatively thin walls, the house has easily been transformed from a defensive building, to a house…..and it is for this reason that it is fairly difficult to see at first glimpse the history behind the property...."
  • Owner

    The castles, towers and fortified buildings of Cumbria
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: http://www.matthewpemmott.co.uk/2006/01/selside-hall-nr-kendal.html
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 month, 1 week ago
    Viewed: 32 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES